FORBES FIELD, Kan. (KSNT) – Many of you may not even know the 190th Air Refueling Wing is here in the Capital City. And one of the goals of this event is to showcase the aircraft and its mission. That mission includes ensuring other jets have enough fuel to get them through each task. The open house on May 6th celebrated the 190th Air Refueling Wing being here for 50 years the Kansas Air National Guard being around for 60 years and the Airforce's 70th birthday.
"This has been an absolute labor of love," Installation Deployment Officer, Rikki Blume said. "I had an opportunity to show people what we do out here that never come out here."
Along with the 190th jet, there were a few other planes from other parts of the country. The Wing Commander for the 190th Aircraft, Jarrod Frantz, said he's been educating visitors saying being in the military was so much more than he expected.
"It turned out to be so much more than just a job," Frantz said. "The comradery, the professionals I work with...it's a family-like atmosphere."
The event had music, activities for the kids, tons of displays and food vendors.
"I just have to thank the public for coming out and giving us an opportunity to showcase what we do. A lot of people see the KC-135 and don't understand that there's a mission behind it."
Event organizers say there's nothing like this planned in the near future. So, if you've missed all the fun today and you want to check out what these aircraft have to offer, click here.
At least 1 killed in French supermarket
Protest over shooting of unarmed man...
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Friday Freebies: 10 ways to save on spoiling your...
- Former Fox News anchor sues O'Reilly for defamation
- Toys 'R' Us founder Charles Lazarus dies
- TV personality known for playing Bozo the Clown dies...
- YouTube tightens restrictions on firearm videos
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- NYC firefighter dies battling blaze on Harlem movie set
- Mister Rogers postage stamp officially goes on sale
- Adopting puppies goes national as people celebrate...
- Sheriff: Florida woman attacked husband after he...
- Bolton replacing McMaster as Trump national security...