TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) -- A local cemetery is helping families get into the holiday spirit.
Penwell-Gabel Cemetery gave away Christmas trees to families who can't afford to get one on their own.
Volunteers were on hand to help load up the trees.
Throughout this tradition, the cemetery has given away thousands of trees.
Owner Ren Newcomer said it's something he knows matters to the community.
"It was an opportunity for Penwell-Gabel to give back to the community," Newcomer said. "At a time that's very important for those that have lost a loved one, holidays can be very difficult. And this hopefully helps the holiday in a little way with bringing some joy to life with a Christmas tree."
This is the seventh year the cemetery has given out Christmas trees.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Friday Freebies: 10 ways to save on spoiling your...
- Former Fox News anchor sues O'Reilly for defamation
- Toys 'R' Us founder Charles Lazarus dies
- TV personality known for playing Bozo the Clown dies...
- YouTube tightens restrictions on firearm videos
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump signs $1.3 trillion budget after threatening veto
- Bolton replacing McMaster as Trump national security...
- Protest over shooting of unarmed man overtakes freeway
- Mister Rogers postage stamp officially goes on sale
- Adopting puppies goes national as people celebrate...