TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) - The Topeka Police Department is investigating a carjacking in East Topeka early Friday morning.
Police responded to reports of an aggravated robbery in the area of SE 4th St. and Lime St. where the victim said their car was stolen around 12:10 a.m.The victim was heading eastbound on 4th St. when two white males entered the roadway, blocking the victim from driving. A passenger in the car was battered with a handgun by one of the suspects just before the suspects fled the area.
The suspects took the victim's red 2008 Dodge Avenger. Topeka Police were able to locate the car around 3:20 a.m. near 29th and Kansas. Police tried to stop the car, but it resulted into a car chase throughout the city. The chase ended around 4:00 a.m. near SW 15th Terrace and SW Drury Ln. The suspects in the car ran from the scene. Police set-up a perimeter and found one suspect hiding under a car. According to police on scene, three people ran from the car, but they were only able to take the one suspect inro custody.
The first suspect is described as being skinny and is about 5'7", wearing a gray/blue t-shirt and armed with a handgun. The second suspect is a medium build, around 5'5", wearing a gray shirt, also armed with a handgun. Lt. Steve Roth said the suspect in custody does match one of these descriptions but can not confirm if they are indeed the accused.
If anyone sees these men, police advise the public to not approach the men as they have already shown a propensity for violence.
The car has since been returned to its owner.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact the Topeka Police Criminal Investigation Bureau at 785-368-9400 or Crime Stoppers at 785-234-0007.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Friday Freebies: 10 ways to save on spoiling your...
- Former Fox News anchor sues O'Reilly for defamation
- Toys 'R' Us founder Charles Lazarus dies
- TV personality known for playing Bozo the Clown dies...
- YouTube tightens restrictions on firearm videos
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- NYC firefighter dies battling blaze on Harlem movie set
- Trump signs $1.3 trillion budget after threatening veto
- Bolton replacing McMaster as Trump national security...
- Protest over shooting of unarmed man overtakes freeway
- Mister Rogers postage stamp officially goes on sale