Cold weather can cause danger when heating your home

TOPEKA (KSNT) -- With the chance of rain and cooler temperatures this coming weekend it appears the days of late fall are upon us, and you're running out of time to prep your home for winter.

Firefighters across the state will responding to numerous emergency calls this winter, many of those calls in response to electrical heating fires.

"We'll probably run incidents that are involving heating appliance maybe half a dozen to a dozen times a year," says Fire Chief Karl McNorton, of the Solider Fire Department.

During the cold weather month's people will crank up the furnace, use space heaters or fire places to keep warm, but fire fighters say to also be aware of the big CO, carbon monoxide.

To prevent a carbon monoxide leak in your home fighter fighter's recommend buying a carbon monoxide detector.

"It's about the cheapest piece of insurance you can buy," says McNorton.

In Kansas more than 500 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning have been reported over the past decade, and four people have died.

"Make sure that it is working properly because if they are not doing that it is possible that they have a furnace that is sitting there operating faulty," says Greg Hunsicker, Vice President of McElroy's Plumbing and Heating.

And folks who think it's safe to use their stove for something other than for baking.

"Well I hope they don't do that, because that's really not a very safe thing to do is to light your stove and open up the front of it," says McNorton.




Trending Stories

Don't Miss Video