Ashlyn Tubbs - (KCBD) After 65 years of saving, an 81-year-old Slaton, Texas man has deposited $816 worth of pennies.
Ira Keys hasn't spent a penny since he was 17 years old, because of advice his father gave him.
"He says, 'Whatever you do son, save your money,'" Keys said. "Back when I started in '52, I didn't have a lot of money, so I saved pennies and I just kept saving them."
The collection weighed in at about 500 pounds.
Kari Lewis, a personal banker at Prosperity Bank, said she has never seen anything like Keys' collection before.
"We take pennies for granted," she said. "You see them on the ground and you're kind of like, 'Oh, I'm not picking that up,' but for him to collect it for years and years was pretty amazing."
It took employees over an hour to count the collection of about 81,600 pennies.
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Friday Freebies: 10 ways to save on spoiling your...
- Former Fox News anchor sues O'Reilly for defamation
- Toys 'R' Us founder Charles Lazarus dies
- TV personality known for playing Bozo the Clown dies...
- YouTube tightens restrictions on firearm videos
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump signs $1.3 trillion budget after threatening veto
- Bolton replacing McMaster as Trump national security...
- Protest over shooting of unarmed man overtakes freeway
- Mister Rogers postage stamp officially goes on sale
- Adopting puppies goes national as people celebrate...