TOPEKA, Kan. (KTMJ) – Topeka Hy-Vee Seafood Manager Ken Sanford demonstrated on the FOX 43 at 4 show Wednesday a different style of taco you might have never heard of.
Sanford showed a recipe that puts a spin on your ordinary taco night by introducing you to how to make the perfect tilapia fish taco. He also shared an ingredient list and step-by-step instructions:
- 1 lb. Hy-Vee Rainforest tilapia filets
- 3/4 c. + 1/3 c. Old El Paso zesty ranch taco sauce
- 2 cups Hy-Vee plain panko bread crumbs
- 1 pkg. Hy-Vee original taco seasoning
- Hy-Vee non-stick cooking spray
- 5 cups coleslaw mix
- 8 Hy-Vee taco-size flour tortillas
- For Mango Jalapeno Tacos: top with fresh mango chunks, thinly sliced red onions, thinly sliced jalapenos, and zesty ranch taco sauce
- For Traditional Tacos: fresh pico de gallo, Mexican crema, crumbled cotija cheese
Pat tilapia filets dry; cut into small strips. Place 3/4 c. ranch taco sauce in a shallow bowl. Combine 2 cups bread crumbs with taco seasoning mix in another shallow bowl. Dip fish, one piece at a time, into sauce; shake off excess. Evenly coat with bread crumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Lightly spray the air-fryer basket with nonstick spray. Place coated fish strips in a single layer in basket; lightly spray with nonstick spray. Air fry for 5-6 minutes or until lightly golden and fish flakes easily with a fork, turning fish and spraying with nonstick spray halfway through. Combine coleslaw mix and 1/3 c. additional ranch taco sauce. Serve fish on flour tortillas with coleslaw and desired toppers. Serves 4.Hy-Vee
For more cooking videos and recipes, click here to find them on Hy-Vee.com or click here to find them in the Seasons magazine playlist.