Barbecue fire causes $12K in damage to southeast Topeka home

Local News

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – A Wednesday morning house fire starting from a leftover backyard cookout in southeast Topeka has caused thousands of dollars of damage.

Topeka firefighters responded to a reported house fire around 3:30 a.m. near Southeast 19th & Michigan Avenue. Investigators said the fire started from a barbecue pit that wasn’t fully extinguished. The pit fire spread to the garage and back of the home and caused $12,000 in damage.

The fire chief confirmed there were two people inside the home at the time of the fire, but they were able to get out safely.

Firefighters got the fire under control and departed from the scene around 6 a.m.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories