TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – A grinding tool is to blame for kicking up sparks and starting a $25,000 fire in a Topeka garage, the Topeka Fire Department said Tuesday.
The fire started around 11:30 a.m. in a home’s garage near Northeast Quincy Street and Spruce. Responding firefighters said the homeowner was working on a car in the garage with a grinding tool when sparks from it caught items in the garage on fire. They were able to contain the fire as of 1 p.m.
The homeowner had minor burn injuries from the fire. They received treatment at the scene of the fire, but did not go to the hospital, according to firefighters on the scene.
The fire caused damage estimated at $15,000 to the garage, $5,000 to the car inside and $5,000 to contents inside the garage, according to the Topeka Fire Department.