TOPEKA (KSNT) – A dog turning on a stove burner Monday morning accidentally started a $1,000 fire in an apartment building, according to the Topeka Fire Department.

Firefighters arrived around 9 a.m. to 509 SW 5 St. for a report of a structure fire. TFD said when they got there, they found smoke coming out of an apartment building.

Moose, a black lab saved from an apartment fire Feb. 21, 2022. (Courtesy Photo)

Firefighters contained the fire and could not find any people inside. However, they did find and rescue two dogs in the home, and treated one with oxygen.

Ruling the cause of the fire as accidental, TFD said it was “more likely than not associated with a dog turning a stove burner on.” Of the $1,000 in damage caused, TFD said $500 was in structural damage and $500 in home contents lost.

Moses, a dog who escaped a Topeka apartment fire Feb. 21, 2022. (Courtesy Photo)

The owner of the dogs, who asked not to be identified, spoke to KSNT News about what happened. She and her dogs named Moses and Moose are all home safe as of Tuesday evening, and cleaning up after the fire. Neither the owner nor TFD could not confirm which of the dogs turned on a stove burner.

Moses, who appears to be a beagle mix, was able to get out of the home when the fire started. Moose, a black lab, was trapped in a room in the home, but firefighters were able to save him. The owner said Moose took a trip to the vet afterward but is expected to be okay.