Family loses pets as firefighters battle flames from home in southeast Topeka

Local News

TOPEKA (KSNT) – Three pets died and five people are without a home after fire and smoke engulfed a home on Southeast 35th Terrace and Southeast Girard Street Tuesday morning.

The home is in Topeka’s Hi-Crest neighborhood.

A woman living in the house confirmed everyone made it out safely but they lost one dog and two cats. Another dog was taken to a local animal hospital, according to the Topeka Fire Department. Firefighter Alan Stahl said Topeka firefighters carry special equipment and are trained to work on pets.

Firefighters fought “heavy fire and smoke” that came from the whole front of the building, according to Stahl.

The residents of the home were able to successfully get out of the home before the fire department arrived.

The fire department said the fire was accidental and was associated with unattended cooking. The fire caused $15,000 indamages.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories