TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – Overnight winds caused a home to catch fire in southwest Topeka, fire officials said Monday.
The fire happened just before 12:30 a.m. at 3409 SW Westport Dr.
The Topeka Fire Department said when crews arrived, they found smoke coming from the basement of the home. After investigating further, they found a tree had fallen on the electrical box on the backside of the house.
TFD determined the cause of the fire was associated with wind. The house suffered around $15,000 in damages, according to TFD.
The family told KSNT News they’re staying in a hotel while the fire department investigates.