TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) - Community hospitals in Holton and Marsyville are among five rural Kansas medical facilities getting a boost from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
USDA Rural Development State Director Lynne Hinrichsen announced Thursday that the department is investing a total of $501 million in 60 projects nationally.
“Ensuring that rural Kansans have access to quality medical care, close to home is a top priority for USDA Rural Development,” said Hinrichsen.
“Several of our rural hospitals are aging, and we are committed to assisting communities with financing for innovative health care projects that meet the needs of rural Kansans.”
Holton Community Hospital will receive $14.169 million loan to expand and renovate the critical access hospital. In addition, a two-story rural health clinic will be built adjacent to the current hospital. Updates to the hospital facility include expansion and renovations to the emergency department, inpatient rooms, specialty clinic, public restrooms, corridors and roof. The population served by the Holton Community Hospital is 16,328, according to officials.
In Marysville, the USDA grant of $9.5 million will be used by a nonprofit group to buy and lease the critical access hospital to Community Memorial Healthcare. The CMH Foundation is a nonprofit organization formed in 2009 to support health care in Marshall County. The USDA said the project will help ensure that the hospital can continue to serve the area's 10,000 residents.
The other Kansas rural healthcare facilities are in Jewell (Mankato), Sheridan (Hoxie) and Wichita (Leoti) Counties.
The complete list of USDA grants for rural healthcare can be found by following this link:
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Stan Lee dead at 95
- Gerard Butler's house 'half-gone,' others await...
- Autopsy finds rapper Mac Miller died from drugs and...
- Alec Baldwin arrested in alleged parking dispute...
- UK fans flocked to TV to watch Princess Eugenie's...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Crash victim survives five hours in cold river
- California man accused of killing dog that peed on yard
- Sandy Hook school receives bomb threat on shooting...
- Hung without care? Some say tunnel decor is an eyesore
- Truck crashes through home, misses sleeping woman