TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) - Hundreds of children are expected to be officially adopted this weekend in Kansas. Saturday is National Adoption Day and judges across the state have cleared their dockets to finalize adoptions on Friday and Saturday.
Around 35 children are expected to be adopted during a celebration at the Shawnee County Courthouse Saturday. They join the around 1,500 children that are expected to be adopted this fiscal year.
"Adoption is such an important part to children in care. Many of them have spent years in care and it's just important for them to be able to find a forever family and to be able to celebrate being adopted and becoming apart of another family," said Kansas Department for Children and Families Secretary Gina Meier-Hummel.
Kansas DCF is on track to double the number of finalized adoptions this year. Still around 500 children remain in the system, half of them are in sibling groups and a quarter of them are over the age of 15.
"I think sometimes people have a thought about kids in care and they have all these issues but many of these children just want a forever family and just want to be part of a family," said Meier-Hummel.
To learn more about children who are currently available for adoption click here or call 877-457-5430.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Stan Lee dead at 95
- Gerard Butler's house 'half-gone,' others await...
- Autopsy finds rapper Mac Miller died from drugs and...
- Alec Baldwin arrested in alleged parking dispute...
- UK fans flocked to TV to watch Princess Eugenie's...
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Crash victim survives five hours in cold river
- California man accused of killing dog that peed on yard
- Sandy Hook school receives bomb threat on shooting...
- Hung without care? Some say tunnel decor is an eyesore
- Truck crashes through home, misses sleeping woman