Kerosene heater catches fire, new construction escapes major damage

Local News

TOPEKA (KSNT) – A kerosene heater left on in a home under construction in the Summerfield neighborhood near 37th Street and Fairlawn in Topeka caught fire creating a smoke-filled structure.

Allan Stahl, the public information officer with the Topeka Fire Department, said no damage was done to the structure but the heater was a total loss. Stahl did say there was a considerable amount of smoke.

The heater had been left on to warm the interior so workmen could continue with installing drywall.

Stahl called the fire a warning to residents to not leave space heaters on when no one is home.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories