Local law enforcement agencies in emergency reporting phase

Local News

UPDATE (5:51 p.m.) – The Riley County Police Department said as of 5:50 p.m. it’s no longer in Emergency Accident Reporting.

UPDATE (5:20 p.m.) – The Topeka Police Department said just before 5:20 p.m. it returned to normal accident reporting.

UPDATE (4:39 p.m.) – The Geary County Sheriff’s Department said just after 4:30 p.m. it was resuming normal reporting.

Due to wintry weather in the area, local law enforcement agencies have entered their emergency reporting phase or walk-in accident reporting phase.

The Geary County Sheriff’s Department announced it’s in Emergency Accident Reporting as of 12:45 p.m.

Their procedures include:

  • The Geary County Sheriff’s Department will not respond to non-injury accidents when the vehicles are operable.
  • Drivers should move to a place of safety and exchange personal and insurance information and report the accident to their insurance company as soon as possible. File a report when there is property damage over $1000.00 with the appropriate Law Enforcement agency within forty-eight hours.
  • All injury accidents and accidents that block the street due to disabled vehicles should be reported to Law Enforcement. Law Enforcement and needed Emergency personnel will respond.
  • As soon as caseload permits, the Sheriff’s Department will go back to normal report taking.

The Topeka Police Department also said it’s in walk-in accident reporting phase.

This means TPD will only respond and investigate accidents under the following parameters:

  • Injury, possible injury or death to any person
  • Possible impairment of a driver due to drugs or alcohol
  • Hit-and-run incidents
  • Incidents where there is a disturbance between the parties involved
  • Any hazardous material situation
  • When the accident results in major traffic congestion
  • When there is damage to a vehicle to the extent that towing is required

All over drivers involved in accidents should exchange insurance, registration and contact information and call TPD at (785) 368-9551 or go to the Law Enforcement Center.

As of 1:10 p.m., Fort Riley Emergency Services are in injury-reporting protocols for accidents involving privately owned vehicles.

If you’re involved in a non-injury accident, exchange information with other drivers and report details at the MP desk.

The Riley County Police Department also said it’s in its Emergency Accident Reporting Phase.

You can see all the criteria for reporting a crash HERE.

If there are injuries, a hit-and-run or DUI, you should call police immediately to report the crash.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories