Southwest Topeka apartment complex tenant speaks about early morning fire

Local News

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – Investigators are trying to figure out what happened in an early morning apartment fire that left one injured Thursday at Whitehall Apartments near I-470 and Gage.

The fire started in the kitchen of one of the second floor units. Firefighters said they helped several people escaped.

“I looked outside when I heard glass breaking,” tenant Jennifer Smith said. “I pulled my curtain back and saw a glow on his deck and it wasn’t making sense. Then I looked up and above my bedroom window was on fire.”

The fire caused $125,000 in damages. Firefighters are also working to figure out why smoke detectors didn’t go off.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories