ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) - Monday, April 15 is your last day to file your 2018 taxes.
The IRS says as many as 50 million taxpayers have yet to file. If you're unable to get everything in order before midnight Monday, the IRS recommends filing for an extension. Form 4868 will give you an automatic additional six months to file your tax return. With the extension, you have until Oct. 15 to file your 2018 federal income tax return.
However, an extension to file is not an extension to pay. If you owe taxes, you will want to set up an estimated payment. That way you're not continuing to accrue penalties.
You can also file for an extension by using IRS Direct Pay or the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System. If you use these payment services, you don't have to file a separate Form 4868 because you'll indicate that the payment is for your extension.
For more information on taxes, visit www.IRS.gov
Nine common mistakes to avoid when filing:
- Missing or inaccurate Social Security numbers
- Misspelled names
- Filing status errors
- Math mistakes
- Errors in figuring tax credits or deductions
- Incorrect bank account numbers
- Forms not signed
- Electronic filing PIN errors
- Filing with an expired Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Upsides, downsides for Smollett, Chicago in looming...
- Wealthy parents appear in court in college...
- Janet Jackson, Nicks, five Brits lead rock hall...
- Conor McGregor announces retirement from MMA
- Get Out! Jordan Peele's 'Us' shatters records with...
- Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- FULL DOCUMENT: Redacted Mueller report on President...
- Fire out, treasures intact but work ahead for Notre...
- Man sues parents for dumping $29K porn collection
- Omar says more death threats coming since Trump...
- Your driver's license needs a gold star if you want...