TOPEKA (KSNT) – A fire Tuesday morning at 1801 S.W. Madison caused some alarm after a plume of smoke went up from the area.
Topeka Fire Department Public Education Officer Alan Stahl made a live appearance on Facebook warning residents the cloud of smoke over the city was a permitted burn but acknowledged “there is a limit.”
According to a tweet from the official account of the Topeka Fire Department the owner had a burn permit, however, they had not called for permission to burn.
“It can be pretty dangerous to burn in your yard,” Stahl said. “Make sure when you do your permitted burns they are within our parameters.”
Shawnee County dispatch confirmed to KSNT News that the fire was a controlled burn that got too large and firefighters extinguished the flames. The fire happened at a landscaping business, and firefighters were called to the area shortly after 9 a.m.
A KSNT News reporter on the scene said a group of people stopped to see what was happening.