Topeka firefighters & gas crews evacuate homes due to gas main leak

Local News

(KSNT Photo/Cassie Nichols)

TOPEKA (KSNT) – The Topeka Fire Department warned people Wednesday to avoid a neighborhood area as they worked with the Kansas Gas Service on a gas main leak.

The KGS reported a construction company hit a 2-inch natural gas main near Southwest Munson and Collins Streets, causing a gas leak. A firefighter at the scene told KSNT News that they evacuated eight homes in total out of caution, and no one was injured.

Around 3:40 p.m., emergency crews completed repairs to the damaged gas main, according to the KGS. The crews cut utilities to 20 homes while they worked on the leak, and are leaving information on home doors on how to relight appliances after they restore power.

(KSNT Photo/Cassie Nichols)

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories