Due to the latest round of snow, the Topeka Police Department is going into walk-in accident reporting phase, as of 3 AM on Sunday morning.
During the walk-in accident reporting phase, the Topeka Police Department will only respond
and investigate accidents that fall under the parameters listed below:
- Injury, possible injury or death to any person
- Possible impairment of a driver due to drugs or alcohol
- Hit-and-run incidents
- Incidents where there is a disturbance between the parties involved
- Any hazardous material situation
- When the crash results in major traffic congestion
- When there is damage to a vehicle to the extent that towing is required
Other drivers involved with accidents should exchange insurance and registration, as well as contact information. Drivers should still call the police department at 785-389-9200, or go down to the Law Enforcement Center to report accidents. That address is 320 S Kansas Ave #100, Topeka, KS 66603.
Officers want to remind drivers to turn on their headlights whenever wipers are on, per Kansas law.