Topeka residents evacuate after gas leak reported in neighborhood

Local News

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – Some downtown Topeka residents had to leave their homes Friday morning on reports of a gas leak in the area.

Kansas Gas Service crews and Topeka Fire Department responded around 9:08 a.m. to the area of 800 Southwest Buchanan Street. Firefighters and gas crews both told staff and guests inside the Ronald McDonald House to stay indoors, according to an employee. They have evacuated all residents to the east and north of Buchanan.

The emergency crews blocked off all of Buchanan, according to the Topeka fire chief. He said as a city crew was trying to replace a fire hydrant, they hit a gas line.

Kansas Gas Service spokesman Mick Urban confirmed evacuees returned to their homes around 12:30 p.m., as gas crews determined there was no danger from the gas line. They did shut off gas to nine units during the investigation.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories