Some local schools are among 41 from across Kansas taking part in a project that will shape the future of their students.
The Kansans Can School Redesign Project is starting it’s next phase, called the Apollo Redesign Project.
The project requires the schools remodel their academic programs to create successful high school students. Schools chosen for the state’s redesign program spend one year planning what changes to carry out. They then apply the changes the following year.
The Kansas Can Project was initially announced in 2017 after the Kansas Department of Education got feedback that the community wanted more focus on students’ nonacademic skills.
“In order for the state to achieve this vision, Kansans have to think differently about how students are educated. The current educational system has worked well for some students, but not for all students, ” Department spokeswoman Ann Bush said. “By personalizing education, students engage in learning that is personalized to their individual preferences and at a pace that ensures they are achieving to their fullest potential.”
Districts and the schools taking part in the Apollo phase of school redesign process are:
- Augusta Unified School District 402: Ewalt Elementary School, Lincoln Elementary School, Robinson Elementary School and Garfield Elementary School.
- Barber County North USD 254: Medicine Lodge Grade School and Medicine Lodge Junior/Senior High School.
- Columbus USD 493: Columbus Unified High School.
- Deerfield USD 216: Deerfield Elementary School, Deerfield Middle School and Deerfield High School.
- Easton USD 449: Pleasant Ridge Elementary School.
- Ell-Saline USD 307: Ell-Saline Elementary School and Ell-Saline Middle/High School.
- Frontenac USD 249: Frank Layden Elementary School and Frontenac Junior High School.
- Goodland USD 352: West Elementary School, North Elementary School and Goodland Junior/Senior High School.
- Herington USD 487: Herington Elementary School and Herington Middle/High School.
- Holton USD 336: Holton Middle School and Holton High School.
- Hutchinson USD 308: Wiley Elementary School and Hutchinson STEM Magnet School at Allen.
- Kaw Valley USD 321: St. Mary’s Grade School, Rossville Grade School, St. Mary’s Junior/Senior High School and Rossville Junior/Senior High School.
- Lawrence USD 497: Broken Arrow Elementary School, Deerfield Elementary School, Hillcrest Elementary School and Free State High School.
- Northeast USD 246: Northeast High School.
- Oberlin USD 294: Oberlin Elementary School and Decatur Community High School.
- Perry-Lecompton USD 343: Perry-Lecompton Middle School and Perry-Lecompton High School.
- Uniontown USD 235: Uniontown Junior/Senior High School.
- Wabaunsee USD 329: Maple Hill Elementary School.
- Washington County Schools USD 108: Washington Elementary School and Washington County Junior/Senior High School.
The Deparment said it hopes to have all 286 kansas school districts involved in the redesign process by 2026.