WASHINGTON D.C. (KSNT) – Bob Dole will lie in state Thursday at the U.S. Capitol, after the president and others gathered to pay tribute to an “American giant” who served the country in war and in politics.
Dole passed away Sunday at the age of 98. His death comes less than a year after he announced he had stage 4 lung cancer.
The ceremony is expected to begin at 10 a.m. EST when the House of Representatives Chaplin Margaret Grun Kibben will make opening remarks.
The following dignitaries are expected to speak:
- House Chaplain – Margaret Grun Kibben – Invocation/opening remarks
- House Speaker Pelosi speaks (approx. 5 minutes)
- Senator McConnell speaks (approx. 5 minutes)
- Senator Schumer speaks (approx. 5 minutes)
- POTUS Biden speaks (length TBA)
- Musical interlude
- Schumer + McConnell lay wreath
- Pelosi + McCarthy lay wreath
- POTUS + FLOTUS lay wreath
- Benediction – Senate Chaplain, Dr. Barry Black
A life in politics: Bob Dole, his life and legacy: