TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – Construction on S.W. 12th Street began on Tuesday near the Topeka & 12th Street intersection near downtown.
The S.W. 12th Street Project will extend from S. Kansas Ave. to S.W. Gage Blvd. The Project is a countywide sales tax project approved by voters.
Because this is an important roadway for public transit, pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists alike, the street will be constructed per policies and designs identified in City master plans approved by Council.
Bettis Asphalt is the Primary Contractor on the City Project.
The project will:
- Fully reconstruct and “right-size” the roadway to fit the neighborhood.
- Create a designated through lane for vehicles and an auxiliary lane for parking, bus pullouts, deliveries, and a bike lane in some locations
- Upgrade curb and gutter
- Relocate utilities as needed
- Improve transit and pedestrian accessibility and safety
- Improve intersections where possible
- Provide a bike facility along the corridor
2021 Construction: Phase I – S. Kansas to SW Washburn
2022 Construction: Phase II – SW Washburn to SW Oakley
2023 Construction: Phase III – SW Oakley to SW Gage