Firefighters work to put out early morning house fire

Local News

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – An unattended candle is likely the cause of a fire at a southwest Topeka home.

Firefighters were called to the area of Southwest 24th Terrace and Westport Drive around 12:45 a.m., according to Shawnee County Dispatch. That’s near the Whispering Pines Apartments.

Firefighters found multiple people outside of the home when they arrived as they were able to get out of the house on their own. There were no injuries.

Fire investigators say the fire was primarily in the basement area. They say the cause is accidental, likely due to an unattended candle in the basement. Damages are placed at $35,000 dollars.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories