TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – A Topeka man jumped to action when he saw his neighbor’s house on fire Monday evening.
John Glidewell has just returned home from work when he heard a large boom. He saw his neighbor’s house, in the 200 block of NW Knox Ave, on fire.
Glidewell ran across the street with a fire extinguisher and found his neighbor at his backdoor.
“He was at his backdoor and I pulled his door open, like, off the hinges and got him out of there,” Glidewell said.
The man’s home was completely engulfed in flames and was reported as a total loss by fire officials.
He was taken to KU Medical Center for treatment.
The fire began around 5:20 p.m. Monday evening and crews worked to extinguish it for hours, finally getting it under control around 8:00 p.m.