Dalton Davis is an employee at Sky Zone in Topeka. While he and his family were heading to Texas for a spring break vacation, they got a call that would change everything.
After being told their house had caught fire, the Davis’ cut their trip short and returned to Topeka.
They couldn’t believe what they were seeing. The house was a total loss.
“I was just kind of thinking like, you know, ‘is this really happening’?“ said Davis. “Just kind of hoping I’d wake up, but, nope, it’s real.“
Despite the tragedy, Davis returned to work.
“Everybody wanted to kind of walk on eggshells when he first came back,“ said General Manager Chris Glenn. “They didn’t know how he was (going to) be or how responsive he would be to talking about that situation. I mean he just lost everything.“
Davis said it was humor that helped him cope with the situation.
“It’s hard when you know, you are thinking about it constantly,“ said Davis. “So, when I come into work, you know, I get to joke around with everybody, have fun with my coworkers and my friends and all that. It kind of takes my mind off of it for a little while,“ said Davis.
His coworkers wanted to show their support with more than just words, so the company donated all of the ticket proceeds from their glow night on Saturday to Davis and his family.
Davis’ current and past coworkers donated as well.
“He’s been with us since the park opened,“ said Glenn. “So, obviously, I mean we would help any of our team members the same way. But, it hit a little closer to home when we heard it happened to him.“
Sky Zone raised a little more than $2,000 for Davis and his family from the event.
“The kind of bond and friendships, and kind of family that we have here is one of a kind,“ said Davis. “Everyone kind of looks out for each other and I really appreciate that.“
If you would like to donate to the Davis’ GoFundMe page, CLICK HERE.
If you would like to donate household items, you can reach out the Skyzone HERE.