The Topeka Police Department has begun the walk-in accident reporting phase for the city due to the latest batch of snow that is falling.
During the walk-in accident reporting phase, the Topeka Police Department will only respond
and investigate accidents that fall under the parameters listed below:
- Injury, possible injury or death to any person
- Possible impairment of a driver due to drugs or alcohol
- Hit-and-run incidents
- Incidents where there is a disturbance between the parties involved
- Any hazardous material situation
- When the crash results in major traffic congestion
- When there is damage to a vehicle to the extent that towing is required
All other drivers involved in accidents are encouraged to exchange insurance,
registration and contact information and call the Topeka Police Department at (785)
368-9200 or come down to the Law Enforcement Center to report incidents.
Police are reminding motorists that Kansas law requires drivers to have their
headlights on when their wipers are in continuous use as a result of rain, sleet or snow.