Topeka Target evacuates over fire false alarm

News

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) – A local retail store cleared house on reports of a fire in its stock room Friday morning.

FALSE ALARM: defective HVAC system caused evacuation at target on Wanamaker

Posted by Dan Garrett KSNT on Friday, July 12, 2019

Topeka fire crews responded to a reported fire around 9:45 a.m. at the Target Supercenter off of Wanamaker Road, according to customers and employees who went out to the parking lot.

The Topeka Fire Department told KSNT News a faulty HVAC system created the smell of smoke, which prompted employees to evacuate.

Fire crews let employees and customers back into the building around 10:10 a.m.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.