BRIDGEPORT, CT (WTNH) – A woman is injured after police say she lit dynamite thinking it was a candle.
City officials say a woman is injured after she thought she was lighting a candle, when it was actually a quarter stick of dynamite. As a result, they say her hands received a significant amount of damage and she was taken to the hospital.
Authorities say a second device was found inside the home on Lindley Street in Bridgeport.
As a precaution, officials say homes on either side of the house were evacuated. They say the house and the surrounding area was searched.
Authorities say state police, state fire marshal, state police bomb squad, Bridgeport police and fire, along with the city fire marshals office responded to the scene.
According to officials, the bomb squad may take explosives for detonation at Seaside Park or West Beach.